½Å¾Ó°ú ±³¸®

Home > ½Å¾Ó°ú ±³¸® > ¹Ì»ç°­·Ð

Á¦¸ñ We Walk in in Newness of Life(2034-04-07)
ÀÛ¼ºÀÚ °ü¸®ÀÚ ÀÛ¼ºÀÏ 2024-04-07

We Walk in in Newness of Life(2034-04-07)

My dear Brethren, Today is called ¡°Dominica in albis¡± or ¡°Quasimodo Sunday¡±.

¡°Dominica in albis¡± means Sunday in white. The newly baptized (mostly pagan adults) received white albs, which they wore at Mass and at every office, throughout Easter Week. When the end of the Easter festivities came on the next Saturday, they set aside their white garments, which they had received at baptism and assumed their ordinary dress. In a hymn of the liturgy, one sings: 
¡°Ad regias Agni dapes, Stolis amicti candidis¡± - ¡°At the Lamb¡¯s royal feast, dressed up in white¡¦¡±

¡°Quasimodo¡± is the first word of today¡¯s Introit.
The Introit is taken from the Epistle of St Peter, in which he says: ¡°You are children, new-born, and all your craving must be for the soul's pure milk, that will nurture you into salvation, once you have tasted, as you have surely tasted, the goodness of the Lord¡± (1 Pet. 2. 2-3). 

We are children of God (by adoption). We are starting a new life, the life of innocence, like pure and innocent children.

Here is a sermon of St. Augustine given on the 1st Sunday after Easter:
I address myself to you, newly-baptized infants, little ones in Christ, new offspring of the Church, grace of the Father, fruitfulness of the Mother¡¯s womb, holy children, new swarm, flower of our honor, and fruit of our labor, my joy and my crown, all of you who stand upright before the Lord. 

I address to you the words of the Apostle: ¡°Put on the Lord Jesus Christ¡± and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires, so that you may put on the life which you have put on by this sacrament. 

It is the sacrament of the new life which begins at the present time by the forgiveness of all past sins, but will only be completed in the resurrection of the dead. ¡°We have been buried with Christ by Baptism into death, so that as Christ has arisen from the dead, we too may walk in newness of life.¡± 
Today is the octave of your birth. 

You have not yet received in fact the glory of the resurrection, but you have the sure hope of receiving it since you have the sacrament of that reality and the pledge of the Spirit. 

¡°If you have risen with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hid with Christ in God. When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.¡±

In conclusion, my dear Brethren,
The Octave of Easter is over, but our Christian life is just starting.
Let us not return to our sinful habits!

Let us recall what Mother Church told us at baptism:
¡°Receive this white garment which you may wear without stain before the judgment seat of Our Lord, Jesus Christ, that you may have life everlasting.¡±
¡°Safeguard thy baptism by a blameless life. Keep the Commandments of God that when Our Lord shall come to claim His own, you may be worthy to greet Him with all the saints in the heavenly court and live forever and ever. Amen.¡±

May the maternal milk (spoken of by St. Peter), that is the flesh of Christ, make us grow up in holiness. Amen.

fr. Benoît Wailliez